Community Educators as Adventure Education Experts 5 ECTS, Summer 2021
|Studies||Open University of Applied Sciences|
|Method of instruction||Online course|
|Study pediod||01.06.2021 – 20.8.2021|
|Schedule||Self-paced online course.|
|Registration deadline||24.5.2021 at 23:59:00 (EET)|
|Contact person||Sini Lahti (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Contents of the course
On this course, students will familiarize themselves with the basic ideas, concepts, frame of reference, and principles of Adventure Education. In adventure education, the focus is on experiential, activity- and adventure-based methods and processes, which are targeted to support and promote the growth, development, learning, wellbeing, and agency of individuals, groups, and communities. Adventure education can be implemented by an educator, instructor, teacher, or therapist, and can be applied in early education, youth work, schools and colleges, and rehabilitation.
On the course, students will acquire knowledge about Adventure Education as a pedagogical approach. The course is part of the degree programme curriculum in Adventure and Outdoor Education, Community Educator (Bachelor of Humanities), at Humak University of Applied Sciences. However, this particular course is open for everyone interested in Adventure Education, and it sheds light on Adventure Education both in the context of Community Educator Studies and in general. The course is well suited especially for students in the fields of Education, Social Sciences, and Humanities.
- Basics of adventure education
- Meaning of adventure education in preventive work, in supporting the growth and development of individuals and groups, in promoting personal engagement, in reinforcing the sense of community, and in promoting well-being
- Multiple fields of adventure education, such as youth work, organisational work, education, well-being services, nature- and adventure-based entrepreneurship
Intended learning outcomes
After the completion of the course, students
- are familiar with the foundation and competency basis of adventure education
- recognise the potential and applicability of adventure education
- are familiar with the professional field of adventure education
Humak grants a 50 % discount for pensioners, and graduated Humak alumni. To unemployed we offer the course for free. To receive the discount, copies of pensioner cards and certificates of unemployment/active job search (by Finnish TE Services, containing the codes 02, 03 ,05, 06, 07 or 08) must be attached to the personal information form. We only accept Finnish certificates of unemployment or pensioner cards.